Monday, February 16, 2009

Where's The Right Wing Outrage Machine Now?

When it comes to law and order, the right is pretty consistent with certain themes. They regularly denounce crimes involving sex and children, they regularly blast plea deals and criminals getting off with a relative slap on the wrist, and they correctly get outraged when the perpetrator blames the victim for the crime.

They're pretty consistent with these things, so I was surprised that no one that I saw had anything to say about Donald Fleischman. Fleischman is the former head of the Brown County Republican Party who was recently sentenced for having two teenage boy runaways in his home, giving them pot and alcohol, and exposing himself to them.

Fleischman was initially charged with child enticement, exposing himself and contributing to the delinquency, but did a plea bargain to lose the felony charges. This allowed him to maintain his insurance sales license, stay off the sex offenders list, and greatly reduced any potential jail time.

Fleischman was sentenced to only a month in jail and given Huber and good time privileges for what he did to these boys.

But, in my opinion, the worst part of it was instead of offering any kind of sincere apology, he tried to shift the blame on the kids (emphasis mine):

"I'm very sorry for what I've done," Fleischman told the court. "It was unbecoming of a professional. My actions were not appropriate for someone of my stature.

"I should have called the police when those boys entered my house uninvited."

I can't think of many people, when faced with two intruders entering their house uninvited, that wouldn't automatically be calling the police. Instead, Fleischman thought it would be a good idea to give them drugs and alcohol, hide them out in various places, and try to take advantage of them. Then to blame the kids for his failure to do what any normal, responsible adult would do is beyond the pale.

It is also mind-boggling that the right wing outrage machine has been strangely silent about this whole thing. I do recall some giving a token post about it when he was first arrested, but not many, and not nearly with the same vehemence they would use if someone would do something like suggest raising a tax or something.

I guess it's just a matter of priorities.

5 comments:

  1. Fred mentioned this is a roundabout way.
    This idiot is a piece of crap and the sentence sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was in the MJS on Saturday morning. It was bigger news up there, but it was still in the papers down here.

    Fred didn't do his until after I did this post. I was up north for the weekend, else it would have been up a lot sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall reading a brief article on it and chose not to comment.

    Frankly, it's a little 'under the radar' being in GB and the perp being a PubbieParty chair, not an elected official.

    Where's Green Bay again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, where Favre used to play football a couple, three years ago.

    ReplyDelete