Monday, March 16, 2009

Another Newspaper Ends Printed Copy

This time it is the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, after 146 years of printed copy, that is pulling the plug on its hard copy and going to a Web only service:
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which has chronicled the news of the city since logs slid down its steep streets to the harbor and miners caroused in its bars before heading north to Alaska's gold fields, will print its final edition Tuesday.

Hearst Corp., which owns the 146-year-old P-I, said Monday that it failed to find a buyer for the newspaper, which it put up for a 60-day sale in January after years of losing money. Now the P-I will shift entirely to the Web.

I personally like to have a hard copy of the paper to read with my morning coffee and Cheerios. Plus it is nice to have when I am not around the computer, like on my adventures at the northern castle.

I also feel bad for the people that like to read the paper, but aren't computer savvy or have one readily available. My late grandfather would have never been able to read the paper off of the net.

I also wonder, with there recent reformatting, if the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is about to follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment