Monday, July 20, 2009

Dish TV To Dish Out Money

All I can say to this is an emphatic, "Good!"

Wisconsin and 45 other states have obtained a settlement for nearly $6 million with Dish Network LLC, resolving allegations of deceptive and unfair sales practices.

As part of the agreement, Dish Network will also pay restitution to consumers and modify its marketing practices, according to a news release from Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen.

[...]

A multistate investigation led to allegations that the satellite TV provider and its third-party retailers engaged in a number of illegal practices, including violation of do-not-call rules, failing to disclose all terms and conditions of customer agreements, charging customer credit cards without proper authorization and failing to accept responsibility for third-party retailers and installers.
We subscribed to their service for the northern castle because we are too far away from Green Bay and Wausau to get a reliable signal with our old antenna, and we wanted to at least be able to get the local news.

This spring, we started having problems getting a signal from the satellite, and of course, the signal we weren't getting was for the local TV stations.

Over a period of over a week, ending with the Independence Day weekend, I had to call them at least a half a dozen times to complain about it. The first time they said that they couldn't get anyone out until Monday. I told them that we weren't going to be there as we had to come back to Milwaukee. They said that I could call and make an appointment for when we knew we would be up there again.

I called Tuesday and said we would be there Friday and they said that they couldn't schedule something that far ahead and that I would have to call the day before, but that I couldn't call until I was up there because we had to go through some reset procedures first (even though we had just done those procedures the previous weekend.

The runaround continued. Each time I called, I got a different representative that told me different things. It was a line of sight issue. It was equipment problems. Back to the line of sight. They don't take care of line of sight problems. They do take care of line of sight issues. It was covered by our protection plan. It wasn't covered. It was partially covered. So on and so forth.

Finally, when the last person I spoke to said that they could have sent someone yet another thing, I finally snapped and said that I was done with them, and that when my contract expired, I would be dropping their box off at the local dealership.

Now I find out if they just agreed to pay up for their bad business practices. I don't know if I'll get any money from it, but if I do, I think I'll use it to invest in a long range antenna so I don't have to go through this noise anymore.

The saddest part is when we were up there this past weekend, not only did we still have problems with getting the local channels, but the other channels were all wall to wall SpongeBob SquarePants shows.

At least I caught up on some sleep.

5 comments:

  1. It's always a good idea to have a couple of good books on hand for such situations. :) I'm wondering....we had Dish when we lived up there, and I wasn't all that happy with it. Do we get a refund? Heh. I like Direct much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dish TV and Direct TV are the one and the same company, but use different names to make them appear competitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen HUGE differences. Customer service is a lot better with Direct for one thing. And that a big plus with me. If they were the same company, wouldn't customer service suck with both of 'em? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is more of a matter of the person that you deal with. I called numerous times, and got a different rep each time. Some were nicer than others. The last one was a real prize though. Made me almost forget that I am a role model for your type to emulate (even though you don't do it nearly enough. ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFLMAO Yer such a funny feller!

    ReplyDelete