Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let My Pupae Go!

Over the weekend, I told you about the beautiful gift that the Ladies of the Monarchs had given me. Overnight, Friday night, the first Monarch butterfly had emerged and left us. (I later found out that the first one was female.)

Last night, the second pupae started to get ready to emerge. I stayed up too late in hopes of seeing it emerge. I finally gave up and went to bed, resigned to missing. Much to our surprise, the butterfly was still encased in his chrysalis this morning. Like a nervous father-to-be, I kept pacing around waiting for it to happen. Then it started to get later in the morning and I had to get ready to go to work.



I kept checking in on the pupae, but when I was in the other room, it popped out. I came back and found it hanging from the branch, the moisture practically visible on its wings. Knowing better, I did not touch it, as not to harm the fragile wings of the butterfly, but just watched it with a silly grin on my face.

I only had a few more minutes before I had to leave, so I transported the port and the newly emerged butterfly outside where it could sun itself and where it could be free to fly when it was ready.

I went back in and finished throwing my lunch together and, on a spur, grabbed the camera on my way out. Unfortunately, the little guy (it was a male) was rather camera shy and did not want to cooperate with my efforts to take its picture. This was the only one where it wasn't facing me, with wings closed, making it almost invisible.


Now, my wife and I are going through empty nest syndrome. We never realized how excited we were to see this small miracle of nature until it was gone.


She now wants me to go back to the Ladies of the Butterflies to see if they would allow us this boon again. I'm just happy to share in it this little bit.

4 comments:

  1. Is this something you can buy? Not that I want to let one go in Vegas, but it would be a nice gift for someone in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I aim to find out later this week, though. Right now, I'm just too freaking busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Capper...isn't it just amazing.
    The Ladies of the Butterflies do not charge for this free miracle of nature (only for delivery charge, if need be). It is just something we do to show our appreciation for those who helped in the preservation of the Monarch Trail on the County Grounds...or those who ask to witness such an amazing sight.
    A big batch was even requested from various County Supervisors...yes they are hooked as well.
    Just trying to educate individuals on these important nectaring bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information, lu.

    I hope to see the lovely Ladies of the Monarchs next week, or as soon as one returns from her journey to far off lands. Maybe I could cajole a "refill" out them.

    ReplyDelete