Tuesday, August 11, 2009

If It Ain't The Fauna, It's The Flora

Sheesh, what a world. First, it was killer otters. Now, we have giant man-eating plants (emphasis mine):

Natural history explorer Stewart McPherson and botanist Alastair Robinson scaled the mountain and confirmed that the plant was indeed a new species. They have named it Nepenthes attenboroughii after British natural history broadcaster David Attenborough. See photos of the plant .

Pitcher plants are tube-shaped leaf plants that trap their prey when insects and other small creatures fall in and become trapped. "The plant is among the largest of all carnivorous plant species and produces spectacular traps as large as other species, which catch not only insects, but also rodents as large as rats," McPherson told the BBC.

I blame Obamacare!

3 comments:

  1. You blame Obamacare? Darn, you disappoint me. At least I thought you would say "I blame Walker"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...capper...now you really have me extremely disappointed (too). You got me all excited when you wrote "Now, we have gaint man-eating plants.." I was ready to go track them down and plant them in my yard (hoping my neighbor would fall in it)...but when I clicked the link it said they are "meat eating" plants not "man eating" plants. Men are too big for these plants...capper. Damn it all to hell! Back to saving for a very tall privacy fence and security lights and new quiet rock walls...etc. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan-

    You really have a problem noting parody and satire, don't you?

    Anon-

    Just use some Milorganite, and they'll get bigger, you betcha.

    ReplyDelete